Job Summary: The University librarian provides leadership to ensure the Library excels in effectively supporting teaching, learning and research at Africa Nazarene University.
The University Librarian is responsible for the overall administration, human resource management and budget for the Africa Nazarene University Library and the Nairobi CBD Campus Library, and for the management and policy development for library services, collections and facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The University Librarian will be accountable to the Vice-Chancellor for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Overall administration and management of University Library services to ensure integrated learning environment and the engagement of students, faculty and staff.
- Formulating, developing and implementing the library policy
- Ensuring equitable access to information resources, services, and systems in physical or virtual environments at Main campus, Nairobi CBD Campus and at all Regional campuses through lending, reference and referral services and e-resource.
- Ensuring adequate library and research resources are available to meet faculty and student needs within budget allocation.
- Periodically determine reading needs of faculty, students and other stakeholders by working closely with the Faculty in order to develop relevant collection, plan book acquisition programs of the library and select books for order in all disciplines.
- Ensure provision of bibliographical guidance to visiting and research scholars of the university.
- Ensure availability of reading facilities and conducive environment to university library users/patrons.
- Involvement in University Curriculum Development
- Ensures timely collection of reading material and daily stock management
- Teaching Information Literacy Skills to the library users/patrons
- Budgeting and management of library budget.
- Representing ANU in Kenya University Librarians Committee
- Overall management of library staff, determining of Training needs for growth and professional service delivery and conduct performance reviews/appraisals.
- Produces periodic reports for daily and strategic decisions.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Vice-Chancellor from time to time.
The incumbent must have:
- A PhD in library and information science from a recognized university or equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 years as Deputy Librarian
- Published a minimum of three articles in peer reviewed journals.
- Evidence of success in some major non-teaching responsibility at the university or reputable organisations.
- Demonstrated leadership and strong communication skills
- Ability to provide and maintain the highest standards of service for all customers/clients.
Applicants giving full details of age, marital status, education and professional qualifications, experience, current post, current salary and other financial benefits, copies of certificates, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional qualifications, the names and addresses of three (3) referees (one of whom should be present or previous employer) should be addressed to:-
The Vice Chancellor
Africa Nazarene University
P.O. Box 53067 – 00200
Applications should reach the office not later than day, 5th February, 2016.
Applications could also be dropped at our Town Campus located at the Stanbank Building or Aghro House, Moi Avenue.
Note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.